Saturday 12 March 2016

A letter from circumstance

Dear Nnanna, 

I am the circumstance to teach you resilience and self-reliance. Your golden heart can take it. She can look at want and need straight in the eyes and turn in the opposite direction. Trust me, I know your heart. She is the queen of the hearts. But you are taming her instead of listening to her visceral voice. Deep down she knows that desire and expectation make the heart leap and dejected. She knows that recognising this human reality and smile through the pain it elicits is the only way a phoenix will go through a rebirth. So child, I am your friend and not your enemy. Stay with the lesson. Embrace my message and that is the only revolution you must court. I love you. 

Magnanimously yours, 
Cirmustance

(by Toyin Ajao)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Excerpt from 'Abali'

I want to fall madly in love with soccer. I want to know the chest beat that the last few minutes bring. I want to be genuinely excited abou...